Sunday, August 12, 2007

Boom Boom Knees Wobbles

I had to admit, I almost wept seeing Boom Boom falls in the first round. I was on my way to Antipolo for a photoshoot when the world cup of boxing between Mexican and Filipino fighters was unfolding.
While waiting for passengers in FX terminal in Edsa Central, I got a call from a friend about Gerry Peñalosa snatching the championship belt from his opponent Jhonny Gonsalez.
I was able to watch Gerry pummeled Jhonny in his ribcage because the bus I took from Laguna has a free tv on board. I was delighted that prior the main event, the Filipinos has won and taken the first 5 matches, leading the Mexicans team, 5 to nothing.
On the phone, I told Mark that I feel something is not right about Boom Boom's fight. He was facing Daniel Ponce De Leon, the same warrior boxer who trounced Gerry Peñaloza almost to retirement.
His call was just minutes before Rey Bautista, a promising and unbeaten boxer from Bohol, wobbles his knees into the ropes and on the verge of getting knocked down. He told me, its over.
I was dumbfounded. I never thought he would lost, not in the first round.
So I got out of the FX taxi and took a stroll were people had assembled like a mob just outside a goldilocks watching beneath the glass walls. They were peaking at a 14 inch tv with Boom Boom sullen face being shown.

1 comment:

merjoem32 said...

Bautista lost but we were still able to take home the trophy. He is still young so he can recover from this loss. This success will raise the recognition of Philippine boxing as one of the best in the world. I hope this success will continue.